Thursday, November 10, 2011

Steamworks Misses an Opportunity

Let me say this from the start: I love the Steamworks in Berkeley! I'd be in a dry rut without Steamworks. No less an authority than Mindtrip (see his blog Life in the Raw, if you haven't already, it's the best) says Steamworks Berkeley is the best bath house he's ever been to, and he should know. But...Steamworks, in its dutiful recognition of the United States Armed Forces, has unwittingly (I believe) shorted some of us. Steamworks is commemorating Veterans' Day with an offer too good to pass up: a free locker for active duty military personnel. All that's very well and good, believe me, that's great, stupendous, fabulous. But what about the rest of us ole dawgs who've served our country and are actual veterans right now? It's a matter of semantics, I think, but you are a civilian or active duty or a veteran. Active duty military personnel are veterans-in-the-making, and become veterans upon honorable discharge or separation, as we call it. At least that's the way it used to be. Veterans need sex, too. A free locker or a discount (I'd settle for that!) for actual veterans would be great, Steamworks. So we'll hope the message gets to you and look forward to next year.
For all you vets out there, and everybody else, take a moment to reflect, upon those who made the ultimate sacrifice and those of us who served and are lucky to still be around, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. After that reflection, I'd rather head straight for the Steamworks, along with all the other vets I can round up in the waiting room of the infectious diseases (the HIV office) at the VA. Any vet who recognizes me from my barebackrt profile, come on up and say hello next time you see me.
11/11/11

No comments: