Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Popular Gay Barebacker Dies, A Suicide at Golden Gate Bridge

I met Jonathan Klein through a barebackrt hookup.  At the time, he was still living in a rather large nondescript wood frame house at the end of the Castro streetcar line.  He was hosting, but by the time I got there, he wasn't up to sex.  Now I have been refused by the host a couple of times in my bareback career, but never before in such a gracious manner.  Jonathan had changed his mind about sex...at least about sex with me...but he offered me a soda and we had an engaging chat in his kitchen.  He's a slightly burly, bearish guy, and he was dressed in a filled out tee, sweatpants and socks.  He couldn't have been nicer and I really wanted him to fuck me because I had already watched him in action.  I recognized him as soon as I saw him in person, after a slight inkling based on his profile headshot.

Erich Lange filmed Jonathan fucking Max Holden in the Treasure Island Media video, 'Fucking Crazy' a few years back.  'Fucking Crazy' was actually a documentation of an erstwhile San Francisco gangbang phenomenon, the Cute Boy Bareback Party.  If you don't know this video, check it out and the format of the CuteBoy will be explained to you.  Jonathan was a regular at these parties, I think, stuffing his pozdick up the asses of some of the legendary bottoms of our time: Jeff Palmer, Sean Storm, Rob Rodin, Max Holden among them.

Then I was walking up 18th St. in the Castro one day and passed maybe the last, full-service old school travel agency in the whole world: Now Voyager Travel (the title taken from the famous Bette Davis movie) and there sat Jonathan at his computer, providing the personal service for which he was well known.  I had occasion to pass Now Voyager many times since, and just about every time Jonathan was there, working his ass off for his loyal clients.  It follows that he was well-known in the gay business community and well beyond Castro Village.  And of course, I wasn't the only guy who met him through barebackrt.

It turns out that the building has been sold recently and the future of Now Voyager uncertain.  Jonathan had also recently taken a buyout for his Castro apartment (rather than fight an eviction) and had moved to Bernal Heights, a desirable rustic cottagey hill neighborhood a bit removed from the gayness of the Castro.  He had turned 60, and he was poz, two factors which the local gaypaper Bay Area Reporter seemed to take as negatives contributing to depression.  Alas, suicide is often impulsive and always final.  I wish Jonathan had gone online to solicit a hot ass to fuck, rather than to make that last trip to the Golden Gate Bridge.  In short, his life didn't have to end this way, despite all these setbacks ganging up on him.

The last time I saw Jonathan was around 2011 at a Jayson Park video shoot at the Playspace on Folsom St.  Jonathan was in line to have his turn with Jayson's fine ass.  We said 'hi' but not much else, though Jonathan did feel me up nicely.  He seemed his old friendly self.  I left before Jonathan did, but I assume that Jayson did get some of Jonathan's poz seed planted deep in his ass, but regrettably, I don't recall seeing it in the video, but I could be wrong. 

It's always sad when a good men elects to end his life prematurely, and in this case, the world is worse off for his departure.  R.I.P., Jonathan.

No comments: