Monday, April 13, 2009

Florida Letdown

The sojourn to the Sunshine State got off to a bad start when I got a phone call (yes, the airline actually called ME!) from Frontier Airlines advising me that my flight to Tampa had been canceled. Due to a blizzard in Denver, where all West Coast flights on Frontier must be routed, my flight was canceled and what they offered in turn, an even earlier (6 a.m.) flight out of San Jose that would take even longer than the original flight (8 hrs.), simply would not do. Fuck that shit. I would most certainly lose my car rental reservation, and I took these developments as bad omens, so I...I, I, I...not anybody else...canceled the side trip to Orlando altogether. Drew, the reservations manager at the Parliament House, couldn't have been nicer and canceled my hotel reservation without penalizing me. So I did not get to stay at the most notorious gay resort in North America, so maybe next time, P-House. No shady cocktails or party drinks at one of their many bars, no drag shows, no midnight hook-ups, no open door invitation to every swinging dick to fuck my hot ass.
The business part of my trip did go on, but the new flight plan gave me no free time at all, although I did manage to see a little bit of St. Petersburg. And by the way, the weather was pleasantly cool and breezy, with very little sunshine. A fluke, I guess. A letdown for sure, but certainly not Florida's fault...I did like the plant life which was unfamiliar, and the architecture and there is something of a mystique goin' on down there, despite the familiar ugly signs, cars, Walmarts and strip malls. And oh by the way, I didn't become a convert to Cuban food. All that I ate seemed to be over-seasoned and lacked subtlety and finesse...a bit like bad Chinese food which is everywhere in California...as if the Cubans and Chinese believed that ignorant whitey Americans would eat anything. Maybe they're right. Hope to return to Florida in the Fall.
Now I've got Palm Springs to look forward to, heading out later this week.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

By using Car Rental 8 you can discover affordable car hire from over 50000 locations across the world.