Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Goldilocks and Three Thousand Bears

There was much blab on the radio (Ener-G 92.7fm) this a.m. regarding the international Bear Rendezvous slated for this weekend in our fair City with some terminology unknown to me. Of course we have navigated the world of bears and cubs, where girth and hair are the principal defining characteristics. But of course not all bears are fat, as you may have assumed...no, we have musclebears and musclecubs, these being the more athletic varieties, but now we have silverbears and polarbears, those bears that bear winter colors year round...I could figure that one out for myself, but what of Goldilocks?
Fernando and Greg, the charmingly opinionated d.j. duo on Ener-G's morning show, revealed more terminology that I mentioned earlier: more than a few Goldilocks were expected to prowl the streets of the Castro and SOMA this weekend. What is a Goldilocks, do you ask? According to Greg, a Goldilocks is a bear's own fag hag, a straight girl who hangs with bears. Uhm, I haven't met one of these, so maybe I should broaden my horizons, a bit. Of course, I've known a great many bears and they are generally a kind, gentle breed...I have NEVER encountered a loud, obnoxious bear...evidently, after a winter of hibernation they are by nature kind and gentle and friendly.
I'll do better about attending bear events; I'll admit to a certain fascination with what have been billed as 'go go bears,' as they have lived up to the tale that heavyset people are often light on their feet and good dancers.
The Bear Rendezvous runs through the weekend with all sorts of socializing and some big deal affair at the Castro Theater hosted by Kathy Griffin.
At the moment my thoughts are focused on the upcoming Cockpit party and the GayVn awards ceremony, neither of which have much to do with Bears. Ah, generally speaking.

No comments: